- This event has passed.
How To Build A WordPress Website 6th-7th Nov 2018
November 6, 2018 - November 7, 2018£300
How to build a WordPress website
How to build a WordPress website – The two day WordPress training course will equip delegates with the practical skills and confidence to build and manage a WordPress website. You will learn the complete start-to-finish process for installing and configuring WordPress, taking you from a blank PC screen to a functioning, professional website and blog. You will learn how to install and use a portfolio of tried and tested powerful plugins, you will acquire best-practice techniques, learn essential tips on Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and Google Analytics. You will learn how to build a WordPress website and leave the course with your WordPress website ready for business.
The skills learnt will include:
- Security – how to protect your website from hackers and brute force attack
- Content creation – writing text copy illustrated with images video, audio
- Buying a domain name, setting up a website hosting facility and setting up business email
- Setup and installation of a portfolio of tried and tested plugins for e-commerce, shopping carts, forms, image galleries, blogging, newsletters, member’s areas, interactive events calendars and embedding social media accounts
- Search Engine Optimisation, Google Analytics, sitemaps for search engines and website promotion
- Maintaining your website using the WordPress content management system
Who should attend?
Any business, organisation or individual who wants to have a successful web presence with the ability to maintain and grow their website in-house.
Who is the trainer?
The trainer for this course is Mark Millmore. Mark is an award-winning WordPress website developer with over 25 years’ experience in design, technology, e-commerce and the web. Mark’s specialities include: WordPress websites, website content design, social media integration into WordPress, web production, web analytics, on-site WordPress training and WordPress training videos, PPC ad campaigns and creating mobile apps. Mark is also a published author, artist, illustrator, historian and Egyptologist.
Watch Mark talk about his WordPress work with UK Govt.
How to build a WordPress website – 2 Day course
Lunch and refreshments will be provided on both days. The course is limited to a maximum of 10 delegates. Delegates will use their own laptops and will access the Internet using wifi. All delegates will need to have an active credit card in order to purchase a domain name, website hosting facilities and a corporate email account – estimated cost £30.
Day One – 9.00am to 5.00pm
- Introductions – you, me, and what do you want from the training?
- Buying a domain name, setting up shared website hosting and your email. (setting up a dedicated server is a separate course)
- Configuring your server
- Setting up a MySQL database to run WordPress
- Installing the WordPress source code
- Running WordPress for the first time and configuring the backend setting correctly
Overview of the backend Dashboard
- Plug-ins – functionality to suit your business model such as shopping carts, forms and email newsletter – the best tried and tested plug-ins for the job
- How to protect your website from spammers, hackers and brute force attack
- Customising your website with a theme (how it looks)
- Testing your website on different devices such as computers, mobile phones and tablets and operating systems
Day Two – 9.00am to 5.00pm
- The difference between Post and Pages
- How to use WordPress Media
- Appearance – Customise, widgets and menus
- Users – Subscribers, Contributors, Authors, Editors and Administrators
- Content creation – writing text copy illustrated with images video, audio and embedded social media
- SEO – Search Engine Optimisation, Google Analytics, sitemaps for search engines and website promotion
- Helpful tips and best practice in running your website