- This event has passed.
OSINT Pathfinder XI Training Programme 9th-11th February *SOLD OUT*
February 9, 2016 - February 11, 2016€ 1100
The 3 day OSINT Pathfinder XI training programme/workshop teaches a proven methodology aimed at getting the most out of the open source information. The Pathfinder will address all steps of the unique RIS OSINT Intelligence Cycle, from problem deconstruction and requirements analysis, source analysis, search strategies and search tactics, information evaluation and reliability as well as research management.
There is in-depth discussions on everything you need to be successful and efficient in online research: best search engines, obscure search engines, social media monitoring, how to build an OSINT Research Station, the Deep Web / Dark Web, finding hidden information, creating a search plan, how to bring down 10+ million results to a manageable number, and more.
What you will learn
The RIS OSINT Pathfinder addresses the full cycle of investigative online research, from problem deconstruction up to and including search strategies. What you will learn is:
- The best and most effective search strategies ;
- Strategies to bring down 10+ million hits to a few relevant ones ;
- How to search the Deep Web ;
- Monitoring techniques for social media from simple to professional ;
- All ins and outs of the worlds leading search engines ;
- How to structure and plan your research ;
- Advanced techniques to validate information for reliability ;
- How to find out the true senders of e-mail ;
- How to find hidden information in photographs ;
- Maintaining a journal of your research to save you time and money ;
- The best and most useful tools and add-ons to turn your PC into a RIS OSINT Research Station.
Who should attend?
The programme is particularly suited for
- Policy officers, analysts and researchers working in conflict areas, for NGO’s, or EU/UN missions abroad.
- Librarians and information professionals who work for government, semi-government, international governments in support of decision makers ;
- Scientific researchers who need a solid foundation in information research as a starting point for their research ;
- Journalists, investigative journalists, writers, historians who are dependent on decent and high quality open source information research ;
- Researchers in the private sector, in government agencies, in NGO’s ;
- Cyber crime experts who are looking for the needle in the haystack ;
- Financial fraud and financial crime researchers and analysts ;
- Insurance and risc researchers ;
- International relations, conflict studies ;
- Researchers looking for structure, systematic and planned foundations in their work.
What you will get
All RIS training programmes and workshops are well documented in a variety of support materials and services. The idea of the programme is to understand, not to learn tricks. The tricks are all documented in quick reference sheets and a handbook.
What you get is :
- Three full days of OSINT training ;
- The RIS OSINT Handbook with all the details, in print, with table of contents and sources ;
- Buffet lunch and refreshments throughout the day ;
- Quick Reference Sheets with the full command languages of the major international search engines, including the ‘secret’ operators ;
- A hand-picked literature list for your background reading ;
- There will be an online training website for participants during and after the training programme ;
- One month after-care service by phone or e-mail for participants to ask questions to the teacher after the training ;
- Hand-signed RIS Pathfinder Certificate ;
- Group photograph (if appropriate) ;
What does a RIS Pathfinder programme look like?
The Pathfinder training programme is NOT about Google tricks, nor is it about using particular software brands. It is about a METHODOLOGY that can be used anywhere anytime, regardless the search engine used. As one former participant described it: “R.I.S. is OSINT on step 4 to 5, where other training programmes are step 1 and 2”. The research methodology can be applied for super advanced searches on Google, but can also be used for other search engines, commercial databases or your in-house search engines.
The programme will be performed LIVE, with REAL TIME exercises so participants can see for themselves the methodology actually does work. Exercises are as much as possible live as well. There are no predesigned demo’s or something. Also, we make only use of FREELY available software and tools.
Theory is mixed with practical group or individual EXERCISES. Finally, the aim is to be PRACTICAL, everything learned should be applicable immediately for work requirements. So, no pontificating on future trends and what may happen in the years to come, but real and practical training delivering immediate results.
The WHY is more important than the HOW. The HOW is covered in handouts and quick reference sheets. It’s hard work, intensive, with a lot of new information to digest. RIS actively promotes COLLABORATIVE working techniques. Lots of attention will thus be paid to techniques to maintain a Work Journal to share your research with others.
Arno Reuser Arno is a professional librarian and information scientist with more than 30 years experience in information handling and processing. He was the founder of the Open Source Intelligence Bureau for the Dutch Defense Intelligence and Security Service (DISS) and currently holds the position of Senior Policy Advisor for OSINT and Cyber at the Dutch Ministry of Defence.
Arno’s expertise is to design and use systems that can translate information requirements into actionable intelligence. Or, in other words, find pinpoint answers to questions, and to design and run training courses about this for govt and private sector clients.
Listen here to Arno talking about the benefits of OSINT:
John Lynch John is Managing Director of Open Information and Training Services a specialist consultancy that provides trainers and consultants for systems integration, taxonomy implementations and open data projects for business and Government clients. John was previously the Sales Director at Jane’s Information.
John manages all the OSINT Pathfinder training course admin, fees, bookings, logistics, delegates and venue hire.
For course enquires please contact John at: Tel: 020 8669 6681 or Mob: 07843 106702